The creation of "race" as focal point in relation to peoples of the Earth has been on of the most divisive tools of oppression historically. To create the myth of one race being more superior type based solely on racial background is ridiculous. In many cases especially in regards to the European ideology and the eugenics movement, this was also used to justify the enslavement and oppression of those people deemed to be on the "lower scale" of the human family.
On the opposite spectrum I absolutely hate it when someone says "I don't see race!". How is this possible? There are differences and cultural nuances that should all be respected and learned. To make that statement is to say the one's race is truly insignificant especially when we live in such a race conscious society.
Hi Catalyst66 - not sure who you are... hahaha. I completely agree with your first paragraph, the whole concept that tries to prove superiority based on appearance is stupid and empty in its source. I do disagree however on your second paragraph stating that races do exist. What I believe is that cultures exist, and whatever difference we have in our physiognomy is, as I believe, due to the thousands years adaptation the ONE and only human race endured on Earth... That is, get a person who was raised in Colombia but has Japanese ancestors. Then try to compare similarities in this person behavior, culture, tastes, etc… to that of his/her Colombian fellows and to those of Japanese people. Who do you think this person will match the most in a blind test – that is, we cannot see how this person “looks like”? I would guess that it would be with his/ her Colombian fellows, because culture is not how you look like, but how and where you were raised. Race is an altogether different concept that tries to look at how we appear and define us by the color of our eyes, skin, hair, and that, I cannot accept. Maybe it is a wording matter, but for me, race never existed, will never exist, and it is a mass illusion that our world suffers from, but we suffer from other very bad mass illusions too, that I’d rather not to mention now. With that said, like you, I appreciate differences, because I think they make us more interesting, smarter, and a more beautiful race – a multicultural human race.
ReplyDelete