What are your expectations going into engaged scholarship?
I'm hoping to not only be the one educating others about expression through poetry, but to also be the one learning from those I encounter. I'm hoping to empower myself and others by reaching out to the community and sharing my thoughts.
Have you spent much time off campus since you got to Cal?
A lot of the extracurricular activities, hobbies, and work I do require me to do work both on and off campus. Since being at Cal, I've worked at an elementary school near the Fruitvale BART station and at Berkeley High School just a little off campus. I'm now working for an afterschool program at Oakland High School. Aside from work, I'm mentoring at Helms Middle School in Richmond, and in the past, I have gone to Hayward and San Francisco schools to talk to students about higher education. Basically, if I'm not obliged to be on campus, I'm probably wandering around the Bay Area.(:
Are you from the bay area/not enrolled? If so, how does this affect your relationship to ACES?
From the bay, all day, everyday! Although I'm not from the East Bay, I am from the Bay Area. I think sharing the experiences of living in the bay with those I work with would help in some way or another.
Which projects did you select and why?
I chose B-Tech simply, because I love working with high school youth. My passion lies in becoming an educator in the near future for high school students in low-resourced communities. Because the future has yet to come, I consider B-Tech a foreshadowing of things.
What are your hopes & fears?
As I said earlier, I hope to empower myself and the community that I come from. The only fear I have is being unable to perform to the best of my ability, because of how early I'm going to be up. But it's easy: sleep early, wake early hahah
No comments:
Post a Comment